While many homeowners pay to have that pristine shell driveway, the road to Lieutenant Island is naturally lined with the white clamshells from the birds that drop their catch on the pavement to break open and retrieve the prize inside. At low tide, the landscape reveals itself as a soft bed of beach grass, marsh cuts, and valleys of mud banks rife with unseen sea life and shellfish, and a variety of birds searching for their next meal. At high tide, a brand-new landscape appears covering the entire area with water and offering new and beautiful views from your decks, living, and dining rooms.
Timing the tides right, you come across the old bridge to get onto the island. Here you enter a special place where you can relax your shoulders, rest your head, and literally feel the tension release from your body. Sunsets on the beaches, kayaking out of Deep Hole, “jumping the bridge” at high tide, or walks through the Mass Audubon’s Wildlife Sanctuary, Lieutenant Island is one of the most diverse and beautiful places on the Cape to stay.
Your entire family will enjoy our newly-renovated, bright and comfortable home which can sleep up to 11. Beautiful marble countertops adorn the new kitchen with bright cabinetry and all the appliances you need for a gourmet meal. The dining table is perfect for game night (with the provided games) or meals and with two sliding doors to the large wrap around deck, dining can be done inside or out! Most of the top floor is comprised of large windows and sliding glass doors that capture all the beauty the island has to offer. The dappled sun across the back of our soft, new sectional is the perfect place for an afternoon snooze and is large enough for movie night with the family as well. The window a/c units keep the house cool on the hottest of days while the breeze off the bay carries the cool, salty air through our home on others.
The master bedroom is bright and airy with a queen bed and has a unique en suite bath with an antique apothecary mirror and a tub/shower combo. Off the living room is another half bath to serve the family’s needs throughout the days of fun during the stay. Down the stairs you will find the sunny laundry room with additional laundry sink and the back door that leads out to the outside shower and patio. Off the laundry room is the large second bedroom with its two additional full-size beds, dresser, wall-hung tv and hanging space for your clothing. Another sleek half bath is down the hall which leads to additional rooms for your family to relax and sleep in. The bunk beds will make the kids happy, along with an additional twin bed. In the common space you will find a futon sofa that converts to a full-size bed when needed. Our home has Roku streaming tv’s in the living room and in most bedrooms so everyone has a space to get away to.
Come play for hours catching the crabs and minnows in the tidal pools, float with the tide in Loagy Bay, walk down to the beach to enjoy the sunsets, ride bikes to hop on the Cape Cod Rail Trail, and enjoy ice cream in the evenings down at Bob’s Sub-n-Cone. Our home is ready for you to come and make memories to last a lifetime.
- An award-winning, custom, state-of-the-art digital house guide with recommendations is provided for your visit.
- Dog Friendly with fee of $100 (limit 1 dog – must be over 1 year old). No birds, cats, hamsters, ferrets, chocolate Easter bunnies, or pet rocks. Only a (one, uno, un, ichi, eguh, isa, otu, een, imwe, 1) dog that says woof.
- Sunday to Sunday rental from July 3rd to September 11th (beat the traffic!)
- Kayaks and 4 bikes available
- Gas grill
- Walk to beaches
- Water views from dining room, living room, and deck
- Explore Loagy bay for shells or horseshoe crabs
- Private mooring available right off the beach suitable for up to 25’ boat
- Bird-watching at the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary
- 1 Queen, 2 Fulls, 3 Twins, 1 Full Futon
- Washer & Dryer
- Outside shower
- Linens are provided
- Family friendly home with all baby and toddler gear packages available for rent. Renting our Baby Gear kit allows you to leave the big stuff behind and have what you need ready and waiting at your rental! Packages include: Pack-n-Play, Booster Seat/High Chair, Infant Tub/Toddler Tub Seat, and Dish & bib sets/Toddler interactive dish sets. Stroller available as well! See award-winning guide provided for more details or ask us!
- Our cleaning teams use thorough checklists, followed by sanitization and disinfection of high touch points throughout the home. We follow CDC guidelines and use only approved EPA products for cleaning
- Sorry, we are unable to accommodate early check ins
The island is accessed by a bridge and the road may become covered in water if the tide exceeds 10 feet. You will see island residents and guests pull over to the side of the road waiting for the tide to recede sometimes. Depending on how high the tide is, it may only be 30 minutes or so before the road is tide-free (again, it depends on the tide).
First high tide is at 2:47 am and is 10.73 ft/Second high tide is at 3:05 pm and is 10.95 ft
Residents and guests with plans at 3:00 pm would simply arrive or leave between 2:00/2:30. If they miss the window, they simply wait 30/45 minutes until the tide recedes off the road. It isn't a big deal and a part of island life.
A note about the 2022 season - The island has its own aquifer that is separate from Wellfleet or Eastham and when there is a dry winter with little snow/rain, the wells can tend to get salty (we are currently in a drought). For this reason, we recommend bringing drinking water with you while visiting the island this summer.